Games that influenced the Binding of Isaac
Supermeatboy was Team Meat’s take on Mario but BOI is a mashup of multiple influences:
- Zelda - map layout
- Roguelikes - map generation, monster placement?
- Robotron/Smash TV - dual stick shooter
- RPG - shops, attributes system
- FPS - crates/poop hold health, coins
- DooM - exploding barrels
- Centipede - Larry Jr, Buttlicker, Chub, The Hollow
- Shmups - buddy/familiars, bullet-hell, shooting upgrades
- Pang! - Those gray bald guys that split up when you shoot them, Boom fly movement
Growing up with arcades and old consoles I love how they put all these different mechanics in the game but designed them to all work together.
I’m sure there’s a lot more so if you can think of other games, send me a comment and I’ll update the list.